Extraction of Essential Oil by Steam Distillation of Tulsi (Ocimum Basillicum)
Essential oils are insoluble in water and evaporate easily. We can obtain essential oil from plant tissues by distillation or extraction processes. Generally essential oils are obtain from every part of plant like stem, root, leaves, flowers, seed, branches etc. And these essential oils are used in the preparation of drugs, cosmetics and perfumes.
Ocimum Basillicum means Tulsi is an aromatic plant. Ocimum Basillicum is used to obtain essential oil useful for different application. This oil evaporates within 24 hours after applying it to our body. This essential oil helps in cure of digestion problem, strained muscles, headaches and nervous breakdowns. Due to its good medicinal properties and aroma its demand is very high in many countries. A person or company can build a small or large scale industry for the extraction of essential oil from Ocimum Basillicum (Tulsi).
How to obtain oil from holi Tulsi plant?
The extraction of essential oil by steam distillation of ocimum basillicum (Tulsi) is a solid-liquid extraction process. This process completes in following steps-
Flow diagram of steam distilatillation
1. Collect plant material and dry it if required.
2. Fill this plant material in distillation vessel.
3. Add water or solvent (like Ethanol, n-Hexane) in distillation vessel.
4. Heat the mixture in well-equipped distillation vessel in control environment and controlled temperature, then
5. Diffusion of essential oil from inside of solid material of plant to its surface occurs, then
6. Transfer of mass from surface of plant solid material to surrounding liquid occurs, then
7. This liquid contains essential oil which is obtained by reverse cooler.
8. Then the collection of above liquid obtained from reverse cooler is put to stand for some time then essential oil come over water, then
9. We perform layer separation to separate out essential oil from water, then
10. Store this essential oil in dark, closed vessel for future use.
Learn complete procedure of essesntial oil extraction at