The chilly, dry winter wind can be harsh on skin and especially lips. During cooler seasons, hydration is fundamental to keeping skin in quality condition. Try making this DIY lip balm to provide a soothing, protective layer on the lips and seal in moisture. Did we mention that this lip balm smells delicious? Follow these steps to find out for yourself!
14 grams beeswax
14 grams coconut oil
7 grams shea butter
7 grams cocoa butter
20 drops Wild Orange essential oil
10 drops Grapefruit essential oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
A glass container
3–5 clean lip balm containers
1. Combine all ingredients, except for essential oils and vanilla extract, into a glass container.
2. Fill large saucepan with one to one and a half inches of water. Bring to boil.
3. Once boiling, place container into saucepan.
4. Stir ingredients until melted and thoroughly combined.
5. Once the ingredients have melted, remove from heat and let rest for three minutes.
6. Add essential oils and vanilla extract to ingredients and combine.
7. Pour ingredients into lip balm containers and let cool.
Note: The essential oils are diluted in this recipe. However, if you live in a sunny climate, you may choose to be more cautious with the amount of citrus essential oils added, or swap with another essential oil of your choosing.
Tip: When using the lip balm at night, spread a small amount of lip balm around the border of your lip line. The border of your lips is prone to dryness and this little tip will help. By morning, your lips will be hydrated, soothed and soft.